Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group. We finance, develop, build and maintain innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins daily life, supports communities and enables economic growth. We provide the essential infrastructure assets societies need to function, develop and thrive. Our teams operate across the full infrastructure lifecycle:
- We finance
- We design and project manage
- We develop and construct
- We operate and maintain assets
Our business’s performance in divided into three segments;
- Infrastructure Investments – Developing and financing projects
- Construction Services – General construction and civil engineering
- Support Services – Power transmission, utilities infrastructure and rail
Balfour Beatty established its presence in Ireland in 2004. Since then, we have successfully delivered projects in a wide range of sectors, including transport, critical infrastructure, power and commercial buildings. Supported by Balfour Beatty’s international expertise we maintain a sustainable local business combining a mix of smaller/medium sized projects with larger projects to ensure tangible value for the communities we operate in.
Role and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
To be responsible for pricing tender opportunities by implementing estimating strategies on each bid.
- Where no Bid Manager is appointed and if required by the relevant Business Stream, lead the bid process to ensure that tender deliverables are produced in a timely and effective manner
- Lead the Estimating team, including managing the workload and allocation of estimating resource within assigned bid teams. Undertake the role of Estimator on projects, where required
- Oversee and/or interrogate design options and ‘value’ solutions, and if appropriate, identify the attractiveness of a project based on sound estimating principles. Activities to include:
- Review customer’s drawings and specifications to prepare accurate costing sheets for materials, labour and equipment
- Ensure compliance with Balfour Beatty CSUK procedures, including pre-construction gate process
- Review tender documents and submission requirements, ensuring all financial information is identified and provided and accurate compliant design proposals are included
- Establish and agree key plant rates
- Agree with engineering and planning key methods, outputs and plant selection
- Detailed analysis of subcontractors’ analysis
- Manage and coordinate the preparation of preliminary and general expense pricing, including plant schedules and risk assessment
- Prepare tender settlement papers and carry out any belated adjustments as a result of tender settlements
- Provide bills of allowances as part of the commercial handover meeting
- Responsibility for ‘sign off’ of all cost elements prior to any gate meetings or financial submissions
- Select suitable sub-contractors and specialists for each project
- Ensure that key specialists are utilised on each bid to optimise: design, specification, programme and value
- Manage the production of cost information and tender submissions for senior management
- Provide considered responses to customer questions including post tender queries
- Ensure that the project commercial team have received an effective handover of bid documentation
- Manage customer contact, present tender proposals to customers and contribute to customer meetings during the tender process
- Seek to understand, lead the development of and implement the appropriate digital toolsets to execute cost take-off and other estimating activities, such as 5D cost planning
- Attend or carry out periodic Tender Health Checks and formal risk reviews to ensure that the identified risks are mitigated as far as possible in tender submissions
- Ensure that cost planning and estimating are accurate and reflect the project requirements and risk profile
- Provide mentoring on bids to Estimators and the bid teams, including commercial and technical advice
- Maintain the company supply chain database/Estimating System with tender information from allocated bids
- Carry out measurement and take-offs, pricing and entering the system
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of CSUK’s Sustainability activities
- Monitor performance and quality of selected Cost Consultants throughout the project cycle from bid to financial close and ensure the validation of any Cost Consultant outputs such as Bills of Quantities and Cost Plans. Input into terms and conditions, scope of services and briefing of Cost Consultant, acting as a communication channel between cost consultants and Balfour Beatty
- Meet customers and their consultants to maintain or build relationships and maintain relationships with key bodies
- Input into continuous improvement on bids including, presentation media, producing strategy papers for Senior Management to provide guidance on project pricing and the continual development of the cost management systems and tools within the business stream and CSUK
The Ideal Candidate Will Have
Necessary skills and requirements:
- Previous experience of managing the process of estimating projects, within the construction industry is required along with a valid CSCS card. Experience in building and general construction estimating is an essential requirement.
- Membership of a relevant professional body and/or relevant professional qualification is desirable.
- Working knowledge of best practice solutions and optimisation of innovative ideas and an understanding of the principles of Lean Construction and 5D cost planning is desirable.
- An understanding of BIM and how to read and assemble BIM models and produce appropriate reports from them is desirable.
- Good working knowledge of pricing and quantification methods is required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required, coupled with an ability to form effective relationships with partners under time pressure. Experience of leading a team is desirable. Able to be a strong team player, as well as work on their own initiative.
- A desire to continuously pursue innovation and development, with a focus on the customer and the business is required. Proficiency in IT, numeracy and MS Office Basic & Estimating Systems is essential.